FCRA Advanced Certificate Program
The FCRA Advanced Certificate Program is intended for background screening professionals looking to demonstrate a commitment to compliance within their organization. The Advanced Certificate Program is ideal for individuals in compliance or legal roles as well as anyone who regularly deals with compliance issues within their organizations such as operations leadership and customer services. This course is offered at two PBSA yearly conferences and includes a live seminar, followed by a written exam. It is also offered as an online option, consisting of six training webinars and an exam. The content and exam focus on complex and cutting-edge Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA) compliance issues.
You must hold a current FCRA Basic Certificate holder to participate in the Advanced Certificate Program.
The online program includes six training webinars and an exam. The webinars cover the following topics:
- Is it covered by the FCRA? — The contours of what is and is not a "consumer report" under the FCRA such that the Act's obligations come into effect.
- Is it accurate? — The question of what constitutes "maximum possible accuracy" under section 607(b).
- Are my disclosure and authorization forms compliant? — The requirement of standalone disclosure forms and written authorizations.
- Am I complying with Section 613? — The issues raised when reporting adverse public record information.
- Am I complying with Section 609? — The requirements around providing full file disclosures.
- Recent Litigation — Implications of recent litigation.
Certificate Holder Benefits
Upon completing the course and passing the exam, participants receive a certificate valid for two years. Members of NAPBS who hold a current FCRA Advanced Certificate are so designated in the online membership directory. Once you are an FCRA Advanced Certificate holder, you do not need to maintain the Basic Certificate.
Individuals have two opportunities to pass the exam. Those who do not pass the exam on their second attempt must repurchase the program. A score of 80% must be achieved to pass the exam. The exam must be completed within one month of the purchase date.
FCRA Advanced Certificate is valid for two years and must be current to apply for renewal. For FCRA Advanced renewal, you must pass the renewal exam by the end of your two-year certificate period.
Individuals have two opportunities to pass the renewal exam. Those who do not pass the exam on their second attempt must repurchase the program. A score of 80% must be achieved to pass the exam. The exam must be completed within one month of the purchase date.
PBSA Member: $200 – online / $150 – classroom*
Non-Member: $300 – online / $250 – classroom*
PBSA Member: $175 – online / $125 – classroom*
Non-Member: $250 – online / $200 – classroom*
*There is a $50 discount for the classroom option
Apply for the FCRA Advanced Certificate Program — Online Option
Apply for the FCRA Advanced Certificate Program — Classroom Option
Apply for the FCRA Advanced Certificate Renewal Program — Online Option
Apply for the FCRA Advanced Certificate Renewal Program — Classroom Option
- You must hold a current FCRA Basic Certificate to participate in the Advanced Certificate program. You must hold a current FCRA Advanced Certificate to participate in the Advanced Certificate renewal.
- If you fail both attempts of the Initial Advanced Certificate exam, you may immediately repurchase the Advanced course while maintaining your Basic Certificate. If your Basic Certificate lapses before you have purchased the Advanced exam, you must repurchase and pass the Basic Certificate exam before repurchasing the Advanced exam.
- If you fail both attempts of the Advanced renewal exam, your Advanced Certificate expires. To become an FCRA Advanced Certificate holder again, you must first purchase and pass the FCRA Basic Exam. Then, once you become an FCRA Basic Certificate holder, you can purchase the Advanced Course again.
- To attend the FCRA Advanced Certificate Program — Classroom Option, you must register for the exam using the conference registration form. You do not have to register for the full conference to take the exam.
- The individual who is taking this course and exam must have an PBSA account to log-in and purchase. Non-members will be prompted to register for an account prior to obtaining access to the order form.
- Do not purchase this exam for another person in your membership account. If the participant does not have PBSA login credentials, contact your company's PBSA billing contact to add employees to the company profile and register you for the program. Should you have any questions in this regard, contact email@example.com.
- It is the responsibility of certificate holders to maintain a current email address with PBSA to receive renewal notices.
- This program is not currently approved for HRCI credits.